Jerry and Barbara Gibbs transitioned to the States in 2014. They continue serving the Mission as development associates. Jerry implemented and plans GO Global conferences, designed to introduce groups of churches to the biblical basis for missions, missionaries, and God’s work overseas. They continue to represent the Mission in conferences and churches, seeking to help pastors, churches, and individuals embrace a Great Commission perspective of life and ministry.
Jerry was converted in a revival at age 14. While at Welch College, the Lord spoke to him about summer missionary service in France. During his summer in France, Jerry accepted God’s call to full-time missionary service.
Barbara was only seven years of age when she was converted in Heiskell, Tennessee. She claims she led a mediocre Christian life until she entered Welch College. While there, God spoke to her heart about missions and she surrendered to His plan for her life.
Jerry and Barbara Gibbs were appointed to France in August of 1972. They arrived in France in March 1974 and began their first term working with the young people of the church in Rennes under Joe and Barbara Haas. When the Haases returned to the States for furlough, Jerry took on the responsibilities as pastor. This proved to be a “first” of many experiences for Jerry: first wedding performed, first occasion to supervise summer missionaries and first time to become a father.
The Gibbs started the St. Nazaire church during their second term. The church grew through the use of literature and individual Bible studies. Land was purchased and a building was constructed in 1988. They continued to place emphasis on discipling believers and adding families to the church. This resulted in a growing ministry and an emerging group of potential leaders.
In 1995 an adjoining property was purchased and a multipurpose building was constructed by a team of men from the First Free Will Baptist Church of Newport News, Virginia, and the men of the St. Nazaire church.
Barbara assisted in the ministry through teaching Sunday school, helping the music ministry, and conducting Bible studies with ladies. She showed hospitality to the unsaved, church members, and visiting missionaries. She also provided secretarial help, when needed.
Jerry and Barbara have three sons: Marc, born July 20; Joël, born January 9; and Ryan, born April 2.
Jerry-Liberty FWB Church, Durham, N.C.
Barbara-Faith FWB Church, Knoxville, Tenn.
- Pray for the Gibbs children and grandchildren. Marc and his family, reside in the Saint Louis area; Joël and his family in Nashville, Ryan and his family who live in also in Nashville.
- Pray that God will grant Jerry and Barbara wisdom as they lead the church through the pastoral transition from missionary pastor to French pastor.
- Pray for the church as they seek to win the lost in St. Nazaire and the surrounding area.
- Pray for the pastoral team of the Saint Nazaire church, Bruno and Sylvain, that God will give them wisdom and protect them and their families.
- Pray that God will guide, protect, and bless Bruno, the interim pastor of the Saint Nazaire church, and his family.