Doug and Miriam completed their two-year internship in November 2015 and were approved as career missionaries in the December 2015 board meeting. They returned to Japan for their first four-year term on May 25, 2017. The family will settle in Hokkaido for two years of language study.
Doug was born in Ebetsu, Japan. He came to faith as a young child through the work of his parents, Dale and Sandra Bishop. He began to feel God calling him to missions while in college.
Miriam was born in Ayden, North Carolina, and lived in Greenville, North Carolina. She came to faith in the fifth grade after a special church service. At the age of 12, she felt God calling her to be a minister’s wife. In high school, she developed an interest in Japan as well as missions.
Approved for short-term ministry to Bihoro, Japan, in April 2012, Doug and Miriam completed their two-year internship in November 2015. They were approved as career missionaries in the December 2015 board meeting.
During their internship, Doug shared the preaching responsibilities at the Bihoro and Abashiri churches. He co-taught the adult English class at the Bihoro church. Miriam taught preschool English classes and interacted with the moms of the children. They also led a discipleship-focused Bible study in their home.
The couple has three children: Oliver, born October 24; Scarlet, born June 16; and Hazel, born January 12.
Doug: Koinonia FWB Church, Nopporo, Japan
Miriam: Unity FWB Church, Greenville, NC
Updated May 21st, 2018
- Pray for our family as we get settled, and for us to lay a good foundation for our first term.
- Pray for Miriam as she goes to language school. Praise that she has is a fourth of the way done!
- Pray for our kids as they go to school (Oliver 2nd grade, Scarlet K4, Hazel Pre-K) and for us to build good relationships with the other school families.
- Pray that we would truly love the Japanese, and that we would open both our hearts and home to them.
- Pray that we will be a light to all the new people we will meet as we live and work here.
- Pray for the health of all the Japanese pastors and their wives.
- Pray for Doug as he preaches twice a month.
- Pray for the college outreach that is held by a Japanese pastor. Pray for us as we assist him.
- We will be attending the Taihei Chapel FWB church and Salt of the Earth FWB church once a month as a simple way for them to invite people who may be interested in English to church. Please pray that this will provide good connections for the church.
- Pray for the Lord to work through ETEAM and through our college Summer Overseas Apprentice program.
- Praise that Oliver’s arm is healing well.