After serving a number of years helping to develop the church in Nantes, Steve and Becky sensed the Lord leading them through a young French couple to begin a new work in Châteaubriant. The Riggs are presently working to establish a church with a viable witness in this area of 60,000 people.
At five years of age, Steve trusted the Lord as Savior and has always been satisfied with the decision. His Christian parents, a strong local church and a caring youth director challenged him to totally commit his life to Christ. He answered the call to preach while a freshman in college, and he became burdened for foreign missions as time went on.
Becky was also saved as a child. An interest in missions has always been with her but it intensified while her husband, Steve, was a junior at Welch College.
While attending Welch College, Steve served as assistant pastor and then as interim pastor at Good Springs FWB Church in Pleasant View, Tenn. He and Becky served as short-term missionaries in Rennes, France, for eight months in 1980-81.
Prior to entering Missionary Internship, they were enrolled at Columbia Bible College, Columbia, S.C., to study missions. Becky took the basic courses and Steve did graduate work. In 1982-83 at Central FWB Church, Royal Oak, Mich., they were involved in evangelism, visitation and establishing new converts.
They served in Nantes, the sixth largest city in France, with an area population of 700,000 until 2008. Steve served as pastor of the Nantes Free Will Baptist Church. Becky was occupied mainly in caring for their four children but was also involved in Sunday school and hospitality outreach.
Steve and Becky Riggs have four fantastic children. Their eldest son Daniel (1982) and his wife Gwennaelle teach school in France. Brian (1985) works as a language interpreter. Laura (1992) works in a hospital lab and Johanna (1993) is an RN.
Central FWB Church, Royal Oak, Mich.
* Pray for the spiritual and numerical growth of the church in Châteaubriant. Presently meeting in a small rented room in the center of town the group desires to see others come to know Christ.
* Pray for our upcoming Christmas program to be held on December 8th. A number of family and friends have already pledged to come and we are praying they will hear the real meaning of Christ’s coming to earth.
* Pray for our personal encouragement in this new work. Developing a work in a smaller, rural setting has it’s challenges for this “city” couple from Detroit!
* Pray for our pesonal witness to many friends the Lord has brought into our lives that they may see the love of Christ in us.
* Pray for our children: Daniel, his wife Gwenäelle (both school teachers in France) and daugher Bleuenn; Brian, working as a language interpreter; Laura & Johanna, both students at Welch College in Nashville.
* Pray for the financial needs of all our missionary family. We need your prayers & support!