Doug and Miriam completed their two-year internship and were approved as career missionaries in the December 2015 board meeting. They returned to Japan for their first four-year term in May 2017. During their first term, the couple served the Miharashidai Chapel in Ebetsu, which Doug was asked to pastor in April 2019. Doug worked to build support for local JWFB pastors, and Miriam worked with young families doing outreach at the church while completing language school. Doug, along with the help of many others, has been working on translating Christian literature into Japanese. In September 2020, the first project was completed! They are currently Stateside and are scheduling services.
Doug was born in Ebetsu, Japan. He came to faith as a young child through the work of his parents, Dale and Sandra Bishop. He began to feel God calling him to missions while in college.
Miriam was born in Ayden, North Carolina, and lived in Greenville, North Carolina. She came to faith in the fifth grade after a special church service. At the age of 12, she felt God calling her to be a minister’s wife. In high school, she developed an interest in Japan as well as missions.
Approved for short-term ministry to Bihoro, Japan, in April 2012, Doug and Miriam completed their two-year internship in November 2015. They were approved as career missionaries in the December 2015 board meeting.
During their internship, Doug shared the preaching responsibilities at the Bihoro and Abashiri churches. He co-taught the adult English class at the Bihoro church. Miriam taught preschool English classes and interacted with the moms of the children. They also led a discipleship-focused Bible study in their home.
The couple has five children: Oliver, born October 24; Scarlet, born June 16; Hazel, born January 12; Felix, born August 5; and Arthur, born June 24.
Doug: Koinonia FWB Church, Nopporo, Japan
Miriam: Unity FWB Church, Greenville, NC
Last Update: September 16, 2020
Updated October 19, 2020
- Pray for our family as we are currently stateside. Pray that churches will be open to receiving us, that the Lord would provide all the funds we need to raise, and for our safety as we travel.
- Pray for the relaunch of New Life Church. Pray that the Lord would draw people to the work that He is doing there.
- Pray for the Lord to send short-term workers and teams to serve in the Sapporo area.
- Pray that the Lord would bless the planning and development of the translation projects.
- Pray for Miriam and our new baby boy coming in March 2021. Pray for a healthy pregnancy and delivery.
- Pray for the Joy Kids families while we are stateside. Pray that they will come back, and that they will bring their friends/families.
- Pray for Mr. A, a seeker, that he will accept Christ as his Savior.
- Pray that we would truly love the Japanese, and that we would open both our hearts and home to them.
- Pray for the health of all the Japanese pastors and their wives. Especially pray for Mrs. Hirabuki, a pastor’s wife, who has been struggling with cancer.
- Praise that Miriam finished language school in February! Thank you for all the encouragement and prayers during that time.